Course Name CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care CRICOS Code 080765C Delivery Mode Face to Face (include 25% online component)
Combination of on the-job plus additional support via emails (traineeships only)
Course Duration 92 weeks total duration
67 weeks tuition delivery
540 hours work placement
Number of units 28 Core units 23 Electives 5
Students wishing to apply for course credit must refer to Student Handbook
On successful completion of the course, students will receive Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care qualification. Graduates from this course will be able to perform the duties of Early Childhood Educator.
Employment pathways are available to students who complete this qualification in:
- Early childhood educator
- Nominated supervisor
- Service Director/Centre Director
Students are required to complete all of the following units:
Unit Code Unit Title Core/Elective CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children C CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks C CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically C CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk C CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence C CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety C CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people E CHCECE013 Use information about children to inform practice E CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice C CHCECE011 Provide experiences to support childrens play and learning E CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children C CHCECE003 Provide care for children C CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers C CHCECE010 Support the holistic development of children in early childhood E HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting C CHCECE016 Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children C CHCMGT003 Lead the work team E CHCECE025 Embed sustainable practices in service operations C HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety C CHCECE026 Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children C CHCECE023 Analyse information to inform learning C CHCECE018 Nurture creativity in children C CHCECE020 Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour C CHCECE021 Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children C CHCECE022 Promote childrens agency C CHCECE019 Facilitate compliance in an education and care services C CHCECE017 Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood C CHCECE024 Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development C
- Face to Face classes will be conducted at Level 1, 301 George Street, Sydney
- Learning Resources are available on Learning Management System (Moodle)
- Students will be given access to Moodle
Classes/Workplace Visits/Online Components
- Class room delivery
- Online via Learning Management System (MOODLE) Industry work placement
The following learning support will be available to learners:
- Access to well qualified and experienced trainers from multicultural backgrounds.
- Additional support for students with language barriers from the ELICOS arm of SSBT. The following processes will be applied for students considered to be ”at risk”:
Please refer to the ‘Course Progress Policy’ located on SSBT website by following the link given below –
Evidence gathering technique used for this course:
- Direct observation, role-plays written/verbal questioning, interviews and self- evaluations, case studies, projects, assignments are used to assess required knowledge and skills
- Structured Activities (Simulation exercises/role-plays, Projects, Presentations, Activity sheets)
- Third Party Feedback (Reports from employers/supervisors, Evidence of training, Authenticated prior achievements, Interviews with employers, supervisors or peers)
For detailed information regarding the assessment of each unit of competency, including timing and resources can be found in the assessment planners for each unit which are saved on the network in the following location:http://online.ssbt.nsw.edu.au/
All students enrolled in this course must undertake 560 hours of work placement at an accredited early childhood education and care service. Work placement must be completed successfully in order to gain this qualification.
All students must satisfy the Working with Children Check (WWCC) requirements prior to starting their work placement.
The further study pathways available to learners who undertake this qualification include:
- Learning pathway to Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and Care which would support career progression
Note: SSBT does not offer the qualifications listed above in possible study pathways.
- Tuition: $ 19,000.00
- Material Fee: $500.00 (includes text books, arts and crafts, T-shirt and materials)
- Non-Refundable Enrolment Fee: $200.00
Entry Requirements and Selection Process
- All students entering this course must have completed Year 10 or equivalent qualification.
- Overseas students must demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 5.5 or equivalent.
- Students with no formal qualifications are required to successfully complete the LLN test and meet with the Training Manager to be admitted.
- Student must possess & bring their own laptop/notebook to class fully charged. Overseas students can only enroll face to face 20 hours per week.
Note: this information should be provided to a person seeking to enrol in a course, in conjunction with the information in the Student Handbook provided on this website.