As I have said numerous times, securing your next role is like playing a game. Great competitors not only know the rules of the game they play, but they also get to know their opponents very well. They get know their weaknesses, strengths and how they think.
Before a boxer (a great boxer that is) gets in the ring he has spent hundreds of hours getting to know his opponent and understanding how he plays the game. He knows his strengths and weaknesses and enters the ring with unshakable confidence.
I have spent over 20 years in the corporate ‘ring’, 12 of those in Executive level positions, having interviewed and hired [or not] many candidates. As your Employ ME Master Coach, I want to reveal to you what really goes on inside the mind of an interviewer.
My background has always been in Sales and Marketing. One thing you learn about consumer behaviour, is that you generally have about 3 seconds, before the consumer has made a judgement on whether they are interested in your product or not. For the most part, this happens subconsciously, evolution has programmed the brain to do this, mainly for survival purposes.
Remember, every time you send a resume or about to go into an interview, you are marketing/advertising yourself. Think of it this way, your resume is your ‘brochure’ and you are the ‘product’.
So I ask you, how ‘attractive’ is your brochure? How ‘attractive’ are you?
Generally speaking, within 3 seconds your ‘customer’ (AKA interviewer) has made their mind up whether your resume is worth reading or how much time the interview should last.
So make sure your cover letter and resume have the ‘edge’. Make it PHENOMENAL, not just ‘good’ or ‘great’. Make sure you look AMAZING at interview, the best you can.
In upcoming blogs I will give you some tips on how to do this.
Enough for today, want to become an interview master? Join our free Employ ME Master Class, It’s Free!
Speak Soon
Alberto Lavenuta (Call me Al)
Employ ME Master Coach